New positive COVID-19 case registered in Saba

New positive COVID-19  case registered in Saba

Island Governor Jonathan Johnson

SABA--A new positive COVID-19 case was registered in Saba on Friday, April 30. It concerns an imported case of a quarantined person who was experiencing mild symptoms and was tested at the end of quarantine. The individual will remain in isolation until recovered from the virus and after a negative test.

  As has been outlined before, there is an application process that must be completed to enter Saba. Persons have to apply for entrance via

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and, based on the information provided, will then be informed of the measures that must be followed. If this process is not completed, a person may be denied entry to the island.

  This process remains the same after May 1 and is created to ensure that potential cases of COVID-19 can be caught.

  Persons who are not fully vaccinated will still need to quarantine when coming from a high-risk area. In the case at hand, this person would also have been required to quarantine after May 1 and the positive case would have been detected on testing, the public entity Saba said in a message on Facebook.

  “It is important that we continue to practise good hand hygiene and physical distancing when necessary. Remember, if experiencing symptoms, stay at home and contact the Saba Health Care Foundation at tel. 416-3288 to receive further instructions,” said Island Governor Jonathan Johnson.

  The Outbreak Management Team (OMT) received word of five persons walking from the Well’s Bay area towards Fort Bay on Thursday, April 29. The quarantine patrol was immediately notified to check the travellers’ status.

  As these persons did not have permission to enter Saba, they were escorted back to their vessel by the quarantine patrol and the police. It emerged that the boat crew had experienced engine problems. They were taken to Fort Bay to await Coast Guard assistance.

  “It is important to know that these persons have not had any contact with anyone on the island, but because we have a vaccination rate of over 85 per cent, this incident poses little to no risk to the community,” the public entity stated.