I am allergic to certain foods and my family and my friends know about it, but sometimes they will serve me something I am allergic to and insist that just a little bit won’t hurt me.
Queenie, how can I make them understand that it only takes a little bit to set off my allergy?—Seriously allergic
Dear Seriously allergic,
At best, an allergic reaction is uncomfortable, but a serious reaction could even be fatal. There are all too often news stories about serious or fatal allergic reactions, especially around holiday time.
For what it is worth, show them this column. Or, get a note from your doctor telling you what food(s) you must avoid and carry a copy with you to show anyone who does not seem to understand.