PHILIPSBURG--The shareholder of Utilities Company GEBE is moving ahead with plans to dismiss the members of the Supervisory Board, Minister of Tourism, Economic Affairs, Transport and Telecommunications (TEATT) Angel Meyers confirmed on Wednesday.
Meyers acknowledged that the shareholder had received a response from the board to the shareholder’s request for their resignations. Meyers said a procedure needs to be followed when it comes to the appointment and termination of board members and Government is currently in the process of gathering the information necessary so that proper procedures can be followed to dismiss the board members. He was at the time responding to questions at the Council of Ministers press briefing.
The shareholder had asked the board to step down, but the board said in a response that it will not resign. Finance Minister Richard Gibson had told reporters at an earlier Council of Ministers press briefing that Government had “lost confidence” in the board. He had said at the time that the board does not conduct itself in a manner that is beneficial to the company.
The shareholder’s first step was to ask the board to resign voluntarily. Failure of the board to step down would lead to the shareholder seeking advice on the dismissal of the members. It could not be ascertained whether this step has been taken.
Gibson had said there had been a “series of things” that had led to the shareholder losing confidence in the board. These include the spreading of confidential information about the company “in the media left and right.”
Also the Council of Ministers “doesn’t get the feeling that they’re executing their tasks the way it should be done and certain reports that should be sent timely are not being sent and a whole list of other things,” he had said.